Although some names can appear meaningless, their basis often derives from historic connections to the area or to links outside the area with non-descript subjects. For example, the names of many streets in Tynemouth relate to, or have a distinct link with the Duke of Northumberland, who was a principal landowner in the area, Alnwick Castle being the seat of the Percy family and the Duchy for over 700 years.
From 1810 to 1899, Algernon Percy was the 6th Duke of Northumberland, and it was during this period that many of the extant older streets and houses in Tynemouth were laid out – hence a majority of the names connect to the Duke, along with his family and ancestors. The obvious ones are: Percy Park, Percy Park Road, Percy Street, Percy Gardens, Percy Buildings and Percy Villas. The Percy Arms – (now The Priory Pub) also inherited its former name likewise.
Some less obvious connections are those Victorian streets which run between Tynemouth Village and Tynemouth seafront:
Warkworth Terrace derives from Warkworth Castle, also an ancient seat of the Percy family, Earls and Dukes of Northumberland.
Stanwick Street derives from Stanwick Hall in North Yorkshire where Eleanor, Duchess of Northumberland and wife of the 4th Duke, lived for many years.
Syon Street derives from Syon House in West London which is owned by the Duke.
Argyle Street is from the Duke of Argyle, the great, great grandfather of Ralph Percy the current (12th) Duke.
Latimer Street derives from Lord Latimer whose daughter married the 8th Earl of Northumberland.
Prudhoe Terrace is from Lord Prudhoe, the 4th Duke.
Hotspur Street derives from Sir Henry Percy (also known as ‘Harry Hotspur’ 1366-1403) and heir apparent of the 1st Earl of Northumberland.
Lovaine Row derives from Algernon George Percy, 6th Duke of Northumberland, who was styled Lord Lovaine between 1830 and 1865.
Two old streets, situated close to the boundary with Tynemouth Golf course are Algernon Terrace from Algernon Percy (4th and 6th ) and Edith Street which derives from Lady Edith Campbell who was the wife of Henry George Percy, the 7th Duke.
The group of streets running off Mariners Lane are a little more obscure, and take their names from places associated with the Duke’s estate:
Beanley Crescent and Shipley Road derive from Beanley and Shipley, both small townships in Eglingham Parish, Northumberland.
Hulme Avenue is probably a corruption taken from Hulne Park, Northumberland which was transformed into stunning parkland by Hugh, 1st Duke of Northumberland in the 18th Century.
Brislee Avenue is likely to be a corruption of Brizlee, from Brizlee Tower, at Hulne Park, Alnwick.
Denwick Terrace derives from Denwick village, Northumberland, part of the Duke’s estate.
Albury Park Road derives from Albury Park mansion and estate in Surrey, which has been under the ownership of the Duke since 1890.
Birtley Avenue derives from Birtley, a small parochial chapelry in the parish of Chollerton, Northumberland.
by Charlie Steel © 2014
Further reading for many of Charlie’s articles can be found in his books: ‘Monkseaton Village’ (Vol. 1 & 2), North Shields Public Houses, Inns & Taverns’ (Part 1 & 2) and ‘Tynemouth Remembered’ all published by Summerhill Books.